Vienna is the capital of Austria and it is know for its cultural and historial background.
Vienna is being regarded as the City of Music, because of its musical luminaries including Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Joseph Haydn, Ludwig van Beethoven and many more. It played an essential role as a leading European music centre, from the great age of Viennese Classicism through the early part of the 20th century.
The historic centre of Vienna is rich in architectural ensembles, including Baroque castles and gardens, and the late-19th-century Ringstrasse lined with grand buildings, monuments and parks.
Some of the most famous sightseeing points in Vienna are:
- Burgtheater, is considered one of the best theatres in the German-speaking world
- Wiener Musikverein, home of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra known across the world for the annual widely broadcast “New Year’s Day Concert”
- The imperial palaces of Hofburg and Schönbrunn
- Rathaus (Town Hall)
- Stephansdom & Stephansplatz (the city center)
- The main building of the University of Vienna, which is one of the oldest universities in the German-speaking world. It is associated with 15 Nobel prize winners and has been the academic home of a large number of figures both of historical and academic importance.
For more information and other tourist attractions, please visit: http://www.wien.info/en
LOCATION: University of Vienna, Faculty of Computer Science
The address of the NEMO Summer School is:
University of Vienna, Faculty of Computer Science, Währingerstraße 29, 1090 Vienna, Austria
We recommend that you arrive in Vienna, a day before the start of the NEMO Summer School, so that you have time to settle in. Be aware that you should be at the event location latest at 08:00 on Monday and should remain here until Friday at 17:30, when the program will end.
How to arrive to your accomodation & NEMO Summer School venue: Coming soon
PUBLIC TRANSPORT: We recommed you to buy weekly tickets, that are available for one week for all the lines. One costs: € 16,20. You can also use the following website to plan your trips in Vienna: https://www.wienerlinien.at
You should carry a valid ticket at all times when using public transportation. There are high fines for travelers that don’t have such a ticket when checked by controllers.
- Visas: The University of Vienna will provide any institutional documentation that is needed by a student in order to obtain a visa. If you require such a document please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with further details. The participants should inquire at the nearest Austrian consulate or ambassy for specific instructions. Additional information about Austrian representations in other countries can be found at http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/.
- Health Insurance: Students must have health insurance with valid coverage in Austria. We advise you to check with your insurance company before leaving for Austria whether you‘re covered for your stay. For all students from EU-countries the E-Card is accepted in Austria and therefore covers the health insurance (the E-Card has to be activated for Europe wide use). All Non-European students must have health insurance as well. It you apply for a visa to come to Austria you will need to take out a policy before leaving your country.
You should at least include the following in your budget: dinner expenses and sundries (museums, restaurants, going out, etc.)
Estimated budget: € 200
CASH MACHINES (ATMs): ATMs are called Geldautomaten in German.
The closest ATM to the Faculty of Computer Science is located on the Sensengasse 2, 1090 Vienna.
Please make sure you withdraw some cash before coming to Vienna on your first day, and it is recommended to always have cash on you, as not all local shops accept foreign credit cards.
LANGUAGE: “I don’t speak German“
The teaching language and the exam during the NEMO Summer School will be in English.
A large majority of Austrians speak English (very) well. You shouldn’t have a problem making yourself understood on public transportation, in supermarkets or when you ask for directions.
If you want to learn a few words in German before your arrival, here are some recommendations:
Be prepared for altering strong winds, nice sunshine and (short) periods of rain during your stay at the NEMO Summer School.
Average temperature in July: 26°C – 28°C